2012年4月28日星期六

Importance of deeper level about cognition

After attending 3 lectures about social networking, I found the course worth choosing in this term. The film <The Social Network>(2010) I have saw previously gave me an deep impression about how Facebook was built. However, due to the 2 hours' length limitation of film, details about social network are not mentioned. Then the course give me suck a chance to learn deeper.

As an engineering student, I have seldom read the books about psychology and don't know the transferring process of human knowledge. But now I learn the Stage Theory. The external stimulus needs to be processed initially into short-term memory, and finally into long-term memory through encoding. It causes my attention to the process of studying. No matter in childhood, high school or university, we are given a proper amount of homework/assignment besides attending class/lecture. The aim is to turn the short-term memory into long-term memory. Otherwise, we will forget about it soon and it is just a waste of time.

The 3 levels about cognition also impressed me. Actually, most of what I have thought about everyday news just stays in the first level. I just know it, and then go on knowing the next one. To make our mind further engaged, should we slow the steps to spend some time on thinking about that piece of news deeper? The answer is no in the past for me because in my mind it is useless. However, after research on the case about "KONY 2012", I understand that it is worthwhile to update our attitude to at least second level to every news, or the ones who don't know the truth are likely to be mislead under some evil purpose.

For example, hundreds of thousands of people online support US government to send military into Uganda in order to capture KONY. However, after deeper investigation and consideration, it is another invade aiming for petroleum in my opinion, just like Afghan's case.

Even not helpful, don't support the evil, only when we improve our cognition's level.

References:
http://blog.renren.com/share/238213667/12127619538(strong recommended)
http://blog.renren.com/share/238213667/12149232211

2 条评论:

  1. The medias always lead the point of views of most of people. These people stays in the first level of cognition. But we are always encouraged to discover the truth. This would be the second level. If we can see something different or new, this could be the third level I think!

    回复删除
    回复
    1. Yep, that is what I encourage exactly in this post. However, quite a number of people can't reach that higher level.

      删除